REAL PUBLIC LIBRARIAN

Monday, September 17, 2007

New libraries and other dreams

Here is a picture of the proposed new library for Yeppoon. This is the "concept" plan, basically the lovechild of myself and a wonderfully visionary architect Ian Brewster from Brewster Hjorth, based in Sydney, with some excellent NSW libraries under his belt, but more recently having won gigs in Queensland as well (including the new Cooroy Library I believe). This was all systems go until the big A - Amalgamation. So sadly (for me at least!) I may never see my "pet" project come to fruition - It's up to the new citizens (and their political representatives) of Rocktopia! - but the Mayor is doing his utmost to secure last ditch funding before our local authority disappears for good into the annals of history, to make it more attractive to the new administration, for which I am delighted and grateful. But in any case I shouldn't be sad - it's quite a career achievement to get it this far. The experience won't go astray. And the design does feature a never-been-done before library innovation that is wholly and solely my own idea - sorry. I'm not quite prepared to reveal it yet! I may yet get to incorporate it into this or another library, and I egotistically want to be the first!! Ever!! Que sera...

5 Comments:

  • Wonderful looking library and cultural space!

    And speaking about living library, I was just reading about an upcoming talk in the UK on an existing living library, Lismore's Living Library, in NSW.

    And, hopefully, a change of premier might bring a different perspective of the council amalgamations.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:29 PM  

  • The artist's sketch of the new library and town hall looks fantastic. I just hope its going to be funded before amalgamation sets in :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:18 PM  

  • Congratulations and commiserations, Deb. It looks wonderful and I sincerely hope that amalgamation doesn't actually sound the death knell. After seeing what you've done for youth spaces, I must admit I can't wait to see what your latest innovation is!

    By Blogger Library girl, at 11:17 AM  

  • Isaak- thanks for that link about the Living Library - I had heard of and admired the Scandanavian example (we actually had an article about it pinned up in the staff room for a while) but hadn't realized it's become a sort of a "movement". Amazing that there's a speaker from Lismore - good on them - something to keep an eye on. And thanks Jylan and Library Girl for your supportive comments...

    By Blogger Deb, at 1:57 PM  

  • Holy natural light! This looks fabulous!

    By Blogger Stasia D, at 1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home