REAL PUBLIC LIBRARIAN

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Thighs of steel, or, This job is crippling me...

Ever made a new year's resolution to take more exercise? Well, if you work in a public library on the first working day of the year (after a Christmas closedown), acting on your resolution is pretty much a given. And the exercise of choice - squats. Millions of them. First squatting to collect the avalanche of books off the floor under the returns chute. Then shelving the buggers, plus the several thousand returns brought in person to the library that day, including the innumerable squats needed to shelve stuff on the bottom shelf. I am hoping that after the pain (bending my legs today for anything - sitting, walking - is torture) will be the gain - svelte, firm thighs. If it doesn't kill me first.

I know, my degree didn't prepare me for this - but this is real life in a real public library. On the plus side, no need for expensive gym fees - the exercise is free.

5 Comments:

  • LOL! Maybe you and your colleagues could produce a "Librarian Workout" video series. Marketing gimmick, maybe, but hey it might just work. :)

    By Blogger Ivan Chew, at 6:31 PM  

  • Been reading your blog - very interesting. Fascinating to see what is happening just down the road from where I grew up.

    I have been out of the public library scene in Qld for a while now.

    After working for a large number of years in Public Libraries in Qld I moved on to "Other" Librarian things.

    Keep up the good work.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 11:32 PM  

  • Love your blog! I can sympathise - we had trolleys full too.... just think of the full body workout !!

    By Blogger Sputty, at 9:24 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:42 AM  

  • hyvitys pokeri premija no deposit nagrada
    Your Poker money Room depend PokerStrategy is only better that ever fvefveb poker rttbrtb

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home