REAL PUBLIC LIBRARIAN

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Any excuse to dress up

Queen Victoria and her ladies in waiting?? Close. Today we launched our new pictorial history of the shire (local government area) and I thought it would be a good idea to subject my fellow staff to yet another episode of fun (humiliation?), by suggesting that we all dress up f0r the occasion. We certainly puzzled the customers! One three year old asked his mother "Why is that lady wearing that funny dress?" and the mum replied, "She's playing dress-ups". Come to think of it, I have been playing dress-ups more or less continuously for most of my career as a public librarian - I've done cats, witches, Rapunzel, pyjama girl, mad professor, Wally (of Where's Wally fame), wizardess (for a Harry Potter theme night) and a Christmas tree. I've actually done Queen Victoria twice - the last time I wore this exact costume was for the 100 year centenary of our main library service in 1997. Who said Librarians were introverts?

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home